Friday, March 29, 2013

Headstone photos needed

 Find A Grave is a great site for finding the final resting places of my ancestors.  I've created memorial pages for some of them; and as a volunteer, I've added photographs to the ancestors of others.  

For some of my ancestors, all I have is a photograph of their headstone.  That photograph brings life to my ancestor.  The headstone is tangible.  Seeing the headstone makes them 'real' to me in a way that names on paper cannot.

I'm planning a road trip to New York in April to see family members.  I'm beginning to narrow the focus of my research goals.  I made a spreadsheet today of all the family headstones that I need/want pictures of.  Just making that one spreadsheet has already helped me to prioritize the counties and cities that I'll visit.  

As I write, I know that Delaware County will be the first place I'll go and Otsego County is second and Ulster County will be third.  There are other counties that I'll fit in as I can or I'll save them for the next road trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment