Wednesday, October 9, 2013

1966 11 23 Walter J. Schnack to Irene Schnack

My dad wrote the shortest letter ever on the masthead of The Charger, a weekly publication for the troops of the 196th Light infantry Brigade.


Hi Honey & kids,

I'm tired so I hope this will do.  I love you all.

XXXXX,
Jake

23 Nov 1966


 This picture and the following pictures are of a CARE distribution of School Kits on 25 November 1966.  My father worked with Civil Affairs and therefore worked with the native peoples of the Tay Ninh province.  He has spelled the location differently on the reverse sides of two of the photos.  One is Thai-Troung and the other is Thank Trong.  He may have written it phonetically and the spelling is nowhere close to where he actually was.  What I could find online was written in Vietnamese perhaps, or a similar language that I can't interpret.









On the reverse side of this photo is written "Cao Di Temple 25 November 1966."

An article printed in The Charger on December 30, 1966 about the celebration at Suoi Cao which I believe goes with the photo above.  

 On the reverse side of this photo is written, "Morrison, Base Camp, 26 Nov 66."

On the reverse side of this photo is written, "Lt. Kirikos, _5 Tent, Nov 66."

No comments:

Post a Comment