Thursday, October 3, 2013

more photos

Very few of the photos I scanned yesterday featured people that I could identify.  I'm posting more today and more the next time and the next time.  I've got a lot of photographs!

I think about my own personal photo collection.  I have photos of friends and relatives.  I have photos of dogs and cats.  I have photos from vacations.  How is someone else to know what story my photos tell?  Perhaps the pictures I'm posting now are not relatives at all?  Do I think they are relatives simply because the photos were important enough to save?

I would think that if the photos were important enough to keep, that more information would be written on the reverse sides.  But, I have boxes of my own photos that I've not written on.  I've kept them simply because I haven't taken the time to sort all of them for keepers and discards.  I took the photos in the present, not thinking of the future.  I took the photos for myself to capture a moment in time, not thinking that  future generations might attempt a review of my life.

But I digress, I enjoy looking at these old photographs.  I am enthralled by the differences in clothing styles, automobiles, and lifestyles.  Looking at these photographs allows me a brief escape from my own life and a glimpse into another's.

As always, if you can identify anyone in these pictures, please leave a comment.


 This picture and the next two look like the same woman to me.



 Elmer!  You're back!  On the reverse side is written, "Taken at San Pedro. Nov. 22, 1941".  I'm certain that the woman with the blonde hair is Aunt Hattie.  I have a picture of her and Richard Lawler dated 1937 that is her with this same look.

 That's Aunt Hattie again, in the background.

 This young man is the same, I believe, as in one of the tin pictures of yesterday's post.  His arm was draped casually over a young Hattie's shoulder.





 The black armband on the young woman's coat could possibly mean that she was honoring the death of a loved one or was it common to those who had a loved one serving in the war?  I'm thinking this was World War One.



 On the reverse side of this picture is written "4th of July Carnival".




 The photos above and below were 'Finished at City Drug Store" in Oneonta, New York.


 Could that be Seward and Harriet (More) Burgett in the middle?



On the reverse side of this photo was written, "Walter, This picture was taken on the front porch of my home".








 This photo has the date 1947 written on the reverse side.


 On the reverse side of this photo is written, "Feb 7, 1924.  This is a picture of myself in my back yard posed by a Christmas tree and nearby is the Garage.  Your own little girl, Emma."




No comments:

Post a Comment