Sunday, October 6, 2013

1966 4 5 Chuck Rose to Lena Rose

The first Vietnam era letter I have was written by my father's cousin, Charles Elbert "Chuck" Rose, when stationed at Cu Chi.  Cu Chi was infamous for its enemy tunnels.  I am grateful to his daughter, Elaine Rose O'Hara, for sending it to me with permission from him and his family.

Family names in this letter and their relationship to Chuck are:
  • 'Mom' was Lena Mae Carrington Rose, his mother
  • 'Dad' was Clifton More Rose, his father
  • 'Kenny' is Kenneth Wayne Rose, his brother
  • 'Chuck' is Charles Elbert Rose, himself and author of this letter 

Charles Elbert "Chuck" Rose



Tuesday
5 April 1966

Dear Mom and Dad,

Just a short note to let you know that I arrived safely.  I'm located in a place called Cu Chi about 20 miles west of Saigon.  It's very hot here, many days it gets above 115° and the sun is really hot.  I am in the process of peeling for the first time and I've only been here 5 days.  They keep sending captured enemy weapons to us and I'm glad I'm not in the infantry, because a lot of them are dying for their efforts.  I never knew how smart I was to get into Ordnance until now.  The risks to the tech personnel are not much.  They don't have many of us and they take good care of us.  You can bet that we really work to keep their equipment going.  We have new and good trucks, tanks, and weapons although they are pretty tight about giving us parts to fix them.  But, its a long way to the States so I guess we can't complain.  I'll close for now.  Hope everyone is well and Kenny can get home soon.  Tell Dad to cheer up.  I'm probably safer here than crossing


Church St. in Oneonta like Ken did.  But I'll be glad when my time is up so I can go elsewhere.  This place isn't quite what I'd choose but I've seen worse.

All my love,
Chuck

No comments:

Post a Comment