Friday, October 11, 2013

1967 1 27 Walter J. Schnack to Olive Schnack

Back to a regular letter.  My father, in Vietnam, writes to his mother, in upstate New York.  Amongst other things, he writes about TET.

Family names in this letter and their relationship to my father are:
  • 'Mom' was Olive Letha Rose Schnack, his mother
  • 'Dad' was Jochim Walter Schnack, his father
  • 'Katie' was Katharine Rose Schnack Jones Gall Hammon, his sister
  • 'Bob' was Robert Jones, his brother-in-law
  • 'Irene' was Irene Orvetta Cole Schnack Speer, his wife
  • 'Viv' was Vivian Eleanor Schnack Cope, his sister
  • 'Eddie' was Edward Alexander Schnack, his brother
  • 'Jake' was Walter J. Schnack, himself and author of this letter


27 Jan 1967

Dear Mom & Dad,

Well, I think its high time I took time out to write a few lines.  I am still OK, tired, frustrated, but all in one piece.

The weather here is now hot and dry but yet the humidity is quite high.  We have been quite busy the last two months with Operation Attleboro and just finished Cedar Falls.  Both times we had over a 100 tons of rice to take care of.  106 on Attleboro and 162 on Cedar Falls.  On Cedar Falls, over 3000 ton was discovered but so much of it is impossible to get out.  It would be very time consuming and take a chance of getting somebody killed and for my part, no amount of rice is worth one life.  If the Vietnamese want it, they should go get


it, but they only want it after we bring it out.  The rice we have is already about gone.  I gave 1000 bags (125 lbs each) to the Province Chief to give refugees for TET (Lunar New York-Buddhist New Year), another 115 to Father Du for 200 families.  I have asked him again when he intended to answer your class' letter.  I hope he soon does something about it.

Gee, Katie and Bob sure have their troubles, don't they?  I hope that someday they will get all squared away so they can enjoy life a little.

Christmas was as good as could be expected under the circumstances.

I guess Irene held up pretty good with all considered.  I guess the only real worry she has


is with the kids.  I imagine they give her a fit.  They were hard enough to control with me there.  With me gone, I can imagine.

I did neglect Viv, Eddie, and quite a few others for not thanking them for presents but gee, it sure is hard to get more than one letter a day written.  Thank all of them for me because it could be awhile before I get to write.

Mom, would you go see Morty Johnson in reference to the Basketball Officials Association?  He will tell you how much the dues are.  If you would, could you give him the amount and I'll send you a money order for it.  I'd hate to lose out on it because I've waited so long.  I should have sent it last month, I think.


Well Mom, as you can tell, I'm still OK.  Say hello to all for me.  I'll see  you soon.

Love,
Jake


No comments:

Post a Comment