Saturday, October 26, 2013

Rant about an obituary

I'm writing today in regard to the obituaries of an acquaintance who recently passed away.

The first obituary was a typical death notice type of obituary, basically name and date of death.  The second obituary listed two siblings and a father as survivors which, as far as I know, was accurate.  The third obituary included the names of the surviving children.

I know several of the surviving children and the surnames are incorrect on at least two of them.  I'm not talking about a misspelling.  I'm talking about whole other names entirely.  No, they are not different people than the people I know.  I know enough about the surviving children to know that those two names are flat-out wrong.  I don't know the other surviving children well enough to know their surnames.  How can I trust that their names are correct, though, when two others are not?

I am agitated because the deceased was not honored and respected and I am agitated because the survivors are not honored and respected either.  I am even agitated on behalf of the people who read this obituary and were unknowingly duped by misinformation.  

The death of an acquaintance or family member is a trying and emotional time for the surviving friends and family.  I am sad for the person who was put in that position without the necessary information or resources to do it right.

How would a family historian or genealogist know this in the future?  More than one document, and sometimes, the more the better, is needed for review to prove an event and relationships.  I've read, and been told more than once, not to take a death record or an obituary, or even headstones sometimes, as gospel truth.  This is why.  Such a wild goose chase a researcher could be led on with this family!

No comments:

Post a Comment