Monday, October 14, 2013

1967 6 18 Walter J. Schnack to Olive Schnack


I begin this post with a newspaper clipping about the 196th Light Infantry Brigade being airlifted to Chu Lai.  Following that is the last letter that I have from my father before he left Vietnam.  I finish with miscellaneous photographs without dates or locations noted.




Family names in this letter and their relationship to my father are:
  • 'Mom' was Olive Letha Rose Schnack, his mother
  • 'Dad' was Jochim Walter Schnack, his father
  • 'Chuck' is Charles Elbert Rose, his cousin
  • 'Irene' was Irene Orvetta Cole Schnack Speer, his wife
  • 'Jake' was Walter J. Schnack, himself and author of this letter

 

18 June 1967

Hi Mom and Dad,

Gee, you shouldn't feel bad about not writing.  I think I'm the one who should feel bad.  I'm not much at letter writing and I have been busy enough to keep a couple people going.  I try to write Irene every day but sometimes I don't even have time for that.  I am now at Chu Lai which is on the coast in the northern part of Vietnam, not too far south of Da Nang and the DMZ.  The Brigade came up here in April and I stayed in Tay Ninh till the 8th of June.  Its a lot worse up here - nothing seems secure.  I am now in charge of the bunker line which surrounds our little camp.  Its a very tiring job because they keep you awake at night 



with mortar and small arms fire.  Nothing too bad but harassing and never from places you can see and return very much fire.  I am waiting on reassignment instructions and then I'll be on my way home.  If they get here soon, I'll be home in July.  I sure hope they get here soon.  Gee, I've been going over your letters that I haven't answered and find three of them.  I'm real glad you got a chance to talk to Chuck.  I'm sure he was able to put your mind at ease about things here.  I'm glad to hear you're trailering even though its early.  Irene said you had a touch of virus.  Be careful.  I'm also glad you can use my old sleeping bag.

Well, keep your fingers crossed and maybe I'll be asking for the trailer in July.  Until I see you, I remain as ever

Your loving son,
Jake

P.S.
I mailed some stuff to Milford just in case I don't get assigned to Devens.


Following are miscellaneous photographs that I found in my family memorabilia collection that are obviously from my dad's year in Vietnam.





I was thinking this might be Father Du with my father, but its more wishful thinking than fact. 



 This looks like it could be the rear view of the Cao Dai Temple near Tay Ninh.








No comments:

Post a Comment