Friday, August 23, 2013

1916 11 19 Beatrice Rose to Florence Rose

I got to thinking; why not put the images of the letters on the posts as I create them?  I'll give it a try!  As before, I'll correct some spelling and some grammar as I transcribe.

The locations mentioned are in Ulster and Otsego Counties, New York.  Beatrice Rose was 10-years old when she wrote this.  I believe the Sister that this letter is addressed to is Florence Rose.  Uncle Seward (Burgett) is the husband of Hattie (Harriet More Burgett).  Grandma is Alice Estelle Clayton More.  Grandpa Burgett is Peter Burgett, the father of Seward.  I believe Peter died 9 November 1916.





 Pine Hill, NY
Nov 19, 1916

Dear Sister,

How are you getting along in school?  I am getting along pretty good.

Are you lonesome yet?  Don't you think that Uncle Seward is getting fatter every day?

My, how he worked down


here.  He fixed the chicken coop lovely and helped Papa butcher and get some wood the next day after he fixed the chicken coop.  We found an egg.

We are doing fine in school.  I hope you are, too.

Why did Clara Griffon stay out of school so long; and, why did they think she wasn't coming back again?

Grandma received the

package all OK.

Wasn't it too bad about poor Grandpa Burgett?

Grandma looked all over for Aunt Hattie's ring.  Do you know where she put it?

Mrs. Ioninan (?) found the letter you wrote to Ronald (Ioninan ?) when you first went up there.  He left it in his bedroom on the stand when he went away.
We want to go up to Oneonta for Christmas and take our presents up with us and have a Christmas tree.

I can't write very good because I have an old pen.

Are you coming home Thanksgiving and then going up to Oneonta for Christmas?

Well, I must close and change my clothes.

Beatrice






No comments:

Post a Comment