Friday, August 30, 2013

1925 8 22 Olive Rose to Elbert Rose

I will make minor changes, if necessary, as I transcribe.  This letter was written from Dolgeville, Fulton County, New York.

My grandmother, 'Olive' Letha Rose Schnack, wrote this letter when she was not quite 17-years old, to her 'Dad', Elbert Rose. 'Flo' was her sister, Florence Alice Rose Lawler.

Although she doesn't mention my grandfather, he was from Dolgeville and I wonder if she might have met him at this time.  He was a Marine, stationed at Pearl Harbor, Territory Hawaii at this time, but could have been home on leave.  They were married in October 1926.


Dolgeville, New York
August 22, 1925

Dearest Dad,

Probably before you get this, Florence will have seen you and told you that last night or Friday night, Edna took me to where she was camping and then I came back again.  Edna is coming down Wednesday in her car and I stayed so that she would not have to come alone.

I have been having a very good time here.  We go for automobile rides and I have been swimming once.  One day, a lot of us girls went blackberrying.  We got about five quarts.  I hope the blackberries won't be all gone in Pine Hill when I get back to Oneonta because I think it would be real nice if we could get some.

Are we going to keep house?  You'll know when I get back, won't you?  Flo said you weren't working yet.  Gee, I hope you can get work.

I must close now.  Expect to be in Oneonta about 7 o'clock Wednesday night.

Lots of love,
Olive

No comments:

Post a Comment