Friday, August 23, 2013

1918 9 22 Beatrice Rose to Florence Rose

I will correct some spelling and some grammar as I transcribe.

The location is Ulster County, New York.  This letter was written by Beatrice Rose, when she was 12-years old, to her sister Florence Rose.  Olive Rose is their sister.  Their maternal 'Grandma' is Alice Estelle Clayton More.  Papa is Elbert Rose, the father of the sisters.  Aunt Hattie is Harriet More Burgett, daughter of Alice.


Pine Hill, NY
Sept. 22, 1918

Dear Florence,

I suppose you think I am an awful sister for not writing before.  But when Olive and grandma wrote, I was doing my arithmetic.  I don't like Miss Jean as well as I did ____.  She is too strict for me.

Well Florence, Papa has rented the farm to Obed Cure.  We don't know what we are going to do yet.  It is awful cold down here.

Grandma got the eggs laid down before Papa asked for them.  There was eight dozen.  And oh, what a slew of tomatoes Grandma has fixed and they are dandy, too.

Papa fetched me home a new pair of shoes last night but they are
too large and a dandy pair of rubbers but if he takes the shoes
back



he will have to take the rubbers back, too.  The shoes were 3 1/2 and they were too long and the ankles are too big around.

I suppose you and Ray are sporting around in fine style.

If you see Aunt Hattie again before she comes down, tell her about Pa renting the farm and also to bring down, for Grandma, another apron.

Grandma thinks there is a lot of work to be done if we have the farm.

I know this is a very short letter but I don't have anything else to say.  About every morning, we get our feet wet and know I have to go again tomorrow.  Papa got Olive a pair of rubbers last night and he will have to get her another pair of shoes, too, because she has worn the others till they aren't worth fixing.

Will close.
Your sister,
Beatrice



No comments:

Post a Comment