Tuesday, August 27, 2013

1919 3 4 Olive Rose to Florence Rose

I will correct some spelling and some grammar as I transcribe.  The locations mentioned are Kingston, Ulster County, New York; Durham, Greene County, New York; and Pine Hill, Ulster County, New York.

Although this letter is not signed, I believe it was written by my grandmother, Olive Letha Rose Schnack when she was 10-years old, to her sister, 'Florence' Alice Rose Lawler.  'Papa' is their father, Elbert Rose.  'Aunt Addie' is Elbert's sister, Ada Rose Woolheater.  Their maternal Grand 'Uncle Owen' was Owen Wickes More.   Their maternal Aunt 'Hattie' is Harriet More Burgett. 

I don't know who 'Julia' is or how she is related to the sisters.  If you have any thoughts about her, please leave a comment.


72 Clinton Ave.
Kingston, N.Y.
Mar. 4, 1919

Dear Florence,

We received your letter today.  Now Florence, I will tell you why I didn't write Sunday.  I went over to Carter's (almost) and when I came home, I sat down and was going to write.  And, I had a lot of trash written.  Then, I asked Beatrice to finish.  She said I had told all the news she would have written.  Now, that is the reason.

I have a plan.  It is that I write some on a letter every day and send it to you on Friday.  Now, isn't that a good plan?  I received a letter from Uncle Owen Saturday.  He wants us to come out to Durham next summer and hire one (1) of his houses, but I like your plan best.  Papa says if he can get all the the wages he wants, that is just some more, he will stay to Carter's.  But, I don't see how that would hinder us.  I don't know whether we are going to stay here all summer or not.  I am going to Pine Hill for my Easter vacation.  We had a fire drill this after-


noon and this afternoon I got a hundred percent (100%) in arithmetic, too.  A girl asked us to join the Girl Scouts but Papa said we couldn't.  Papa is going to send you some money.

They say here that Beatrice is getting fat so she was going to stop eating.  But, when dinner time came, we had such a good dinner, she ate.

Mar. 5, 1919

I got up before Aunt Addie did and studied my history lesson and geography.  I am getting along fine in school.  Uncle Owen said about my watch and being a teacher.

Mar. 6 & 7, 1919

When I go up to Pine Hill in April, I am going to get Hattie & Julia (the rag dolls).  Well, I will have to close for now.  I have to help with the dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment