Saturday, August 31, 2013

1925 9 25 Olive Rose to Elbert Rose

I might change some spelling and some grammar as I transcribe.  This letter is written from Albany, Albany County, New York.

My grandmother, 'Olive' Letha Rose Schnack wrote this letter when she was 17-years old to her 'Dad', Elbert Rose.  'Florence' Alice Rose Lawler was her sister.  'Uncle Owen' is her maternal uncle, Owen Wickes More.  'Clif' was her brother, Clifton More Rose, and his wife was 'Lena' Mae Carrington Rose.  'Charlotte Grace' is their daughter.  I believe the second photograph was made about the time that Olive writes this letter, or not much later. 

Lena Mae Carrington and Clifton More Rose married in Oneonta, New York on 16 June 1924.

 Charlotte, Lena, and Clifton Rose with Olive Rose on far right.   


 68 North Lake Ave.
Albany, New York
Sept. 25, 1925

Dear Dad,

I am all settled here now and like it very much.  The place where I am is about three minutes walk from school.  We have an elderly woman, old maid, for a landlady.  There are three other girls here.  One is a Senior and the other two are Freshmen.  The board and room is $10.50.  I couldn't get it any cheaper.  We have the privilege


or pressing out a few things and of washing handkerchiefs and stockings.  The rest I will either have to send home or get someone to do.

I went down to see Dr. Worth, the eye doctor.  He said he would have to test my eyes again so I am going tomorrow to have drops put in.  Florence put the money Uncle Owen gave me in the bank and I paid for my first week's board.  I will have to put another


dollar with it to pay next week's board.  Don't forget to put money in for me on payday.

How's Charlotte Grace?  And Clif and Lena?  Tell them all to write and I want you to answer this too.  You have lots of time on Sunday.

I haven't made up my exams yet.  The school doctor said I could have ample time to make them up.  So I will pass them all anyway.


Well, I must close now and go to school.

Be sure to write and tell me how you are, and how your job is.

Lots of love
Olive

No comments:

Post a Comment