Tuesday, August 27, 2013

1919 2 8 Beatrice Rose to Florence Rose

I will change some spelling and some grammar as I transcribe.  The location is Kingston, Ulster County, New York.

'Beatrice' May Rose Camp wrote this letter when she was 12-years old to her sister 'Florence' Alice Rose Lawler.  'Olive' Letha Rose Schnack was their sister and 'Clifton' Rose, their brother.  'Papa' was their father, Elbert Rose.  'Bessie' Woolheater Winfield was the girls' cousin and 'Marjorie' was Bessie's daughter.  'Minnie' Rose Springer was Elbert's sister; as was  'Aunt Addie', Ada Rose Woolheater, who was the mother of Bessie.  'Ella' Baker More is the girls' maternal aunt.  I believe the 'they' referred to in the letter is Harriet More Burgett and Alice Clayton More who have traveled cross-country to California.

Please leave a comment should you wish to share a thought about this letter.



72 Clinton Ave.
Kingston, N.Y.
Feb. 8, 1919

Sat. morning

Dear Florence,

Did you ask me any questions?  I can't find your letter anywhere so I think that it must have been in the waste paper basket and was thrown out.

Well, I got a letter from Clifton today and he sent me his percents.  I will send it to you and let you see it.  And you know that George Moore is home and Lizzie Krum and Mildred White is home, too.

Olive sent him a 10¢ tablet, 5¢ pencil, an eraser that we had, 1¢ pen and a pen holder that we



had and a penny pad that Olive got just for fun.  He said he was very glad to get it.

He said he thought that we might have the influenza.  There are five people up there that have it.  Almost every house has got a sign on it for diphtheria.  There are 97 cases of influenza and over a hundred cases of diphtheria.

I passed everything but geography but I got promoted just the same.  You know that you can miss three subjects and pass just the same down here.  Can you up there?  Did Clifton tell you that he could dance?

Sat. afternoon, half past three

Well, I have been so busy today.  This morning, I started this letter and then Bessie came home and wanted me to help her.  And, I have been busy ever since.

Bessie and Marjorie came Sunday afternoon.  Marjorie is four years old.  She is just as cute as she can be.  And, sometimes when she gets cross, Bessie will whip her and it almost makes me cry.  She will look so pitiful toward me and then her mother.

You know the bedroom we


slept in?  We are in the other room now sleeping.  And, Bessie & Marjorie sleep in the other room.  And, we put our clothes in a drawer in the dresser out in the hall.  And, what we couldn't get in there, we put in the trunk.

We got a letter from Minnie Tuesday.

Florence, do you remember telling Aunt Lib when you were up there, about what we told you that Mrs. Elmendorf said, "About that, we would have another boss now".   Well, that made her mad and she wouldn't come back again.  She said, "I won't go down there again while

they live there with that old devil".  Minnie Donovan said that Augusta began teaching school Monday.

Oh say, I found your letter this morning while I was working.  It was in my trunk.

Yes, I forgive you for not answering my letter in so long a time because you wrote me such a long one when you did write.  And, I knew that you were having examinations so I forgive you.

Obed Cure and Fred Blodget were over to Carter's the week before last after Papa and they went out on a, I don't know what you


call it.

Yes, we went to the movies.  I have been almost every Saturday.  But, today I couldn't go.  But, if Olive had wanted to, I could have gone because Olive went downstairs and dusted for Mrs. Elmendorf.  And, she gave her 10¢.  Wasn't that nice?

Yes, I will do that if you want me to about writing every week; and, you can write whenever you have time, but let it be often.  Will you?

Say, why don't they write to us?  They said they would.  We can't write to them


because they don't know how long they will be in on place.  And, anyway, you didn't say what place they were at.

The weather has been fine here for a long time but today it has been trying to snow.  Not very much, though.  We have only had one snow storm this winter and there isn't a bit of frost on the ground.

I have tried to get Papa to get you some money but he won't.  He is as tight as he can be.  He won't ever send Clifton some.

Clifton is going to join the Boy Scouts, too.

Oh!  Say, you didn't say


anything about Aunt Ella's letter or whether you got the dye or not.  We sent it a long time ago.

Well!  I will go and get a pail of coal for Aunt Addie and then I will finish this.

I have got it.

I have got to write to Clifton and Minnie.  Minnie's letter came Tuesday morning and yours came Friday and Clifton's came today.  And, I have to write to Aunt Ella, too.

Well, I can't think of anymore to say this time.  I think it's long enough.

With Love
Your Sisters
Beatrice and Olive

No comments:

Post a Comment