Sunday, August 25, 2013

1918 11 18 Beatrice Rose to Florence Rose

I will change some spelling and some grammar as I transcribe.

This letter was written by 'Beatrice' May Rose Camp, when she was 12-years old, to her sister, 'Florence' Alice Rose Lawler.  'Olive' Letha Rose Schnack was their sister and 'Clifton' More Rose their brother.  'Papa' is their father, Elbert Rose.  Their maternal 'Grandma' was Alice Estelle Clayton More.  'Aunt Minnie' is Elbert's sister Minnie B. Rose Springer whose husband is 'Uncle Oscar'.  'Aunt Addie' is Ada Rose Woolheater and her daughter is 'Eva' May Woolheater Tiffany Schultz.  Kingston, New York is in Ulster County.  Albany, New York is in Albany County.


Kingston, N.Y.
Nov. 18, 1918

Dear Florence,

I received a letter from Clifton this forenoon when we came home for dinner.  We thought he was never going to write.  You know we were going to send him a birthday present and that was the day the war ended (so it will be easy for him to remember), and the Post Office was closed, so it didn't get sent until the twelfth.  I sent him a fifteen cent necktie and Olive a 15¢ pair of socks and Papa sent him a dollar.  He said in his letter that he didn't realize it was til two days after.  I suppose that's when he got his things.  He says it is almost like home to him.  He said he was going to write to you and that he had written to Grandma before.


I am very glad to hear that you have passed the hardest subject.  I like to go to school very much.  All you have to bring home is your spelling book and dictionary.  You have to look the meaning of the word up.  There are four little negroes in our room; three girls and one boy.  Didn't you know when we came to Kingston it was the (7th) seventh of Nov., Thursday?  We expect to stay all winter or maybe longer.  We don't know.

Papa bought us each a new dress and a pair of gloves.

We have got the books with us.  I like them very much.

Eva and Papa were six miles this side of Albany on Sunday to see Aunt Minnie and Uncle Oscar.  I don't feel very well tonight so will close and I got all my school work to do.

Beatrice

P.S.
Aunt Addie is going to make me a new blue serge dress out of one of Eva's. 

No comments:

Post a Comment