Thursday, August 29, 2013

1923 5 14 Olive Rose to Elbert Rose

I'll change some spelling and some grammar as I transcribe.  The location is Oneonta, Otsego County, New York.  The address is the same as found on the 1925 New York State Census for Seward and Harriet (More) Burgett.  My grandmother's sister, Florence Alice Rose Lawler, lived with them in 1925, as did my great-grandmother, Alice Estelle Clayton More.

My grandmother, 'Olive' Letha Rose Schnack, wrote this letter when she was 14-years old to her 'Dad', Elbert Rose.  'Florence' Alice Rose Lawler and 'B', or 'Beatrice' May Rose Camp, were her sisters.  'Clif' was their brother, Clifton Rose.


256 Main Street
Oneonta, New York
May 14, 1923

Dear Dad,

Why don't you write?  We believe that you have had a spell of forgetfulness.  Every one has written you a dun letter and now I am going to.

You know it cost $10 to move and then the rent and grocery bill had to be paid.  Florence does not get so much pay now since night school has closed.  Her money is all gone except $2 and today is May 14; over two weeks before payday.  You know you told me once you wouldn't be mad if, when you forgot, I wrote and asked for money.  Well, money is needed to carry us through the remainder of this month.

Saturday, I borrowed $10 and bought some very necessary 


clothes.  You are wondering what became of the $10 you left.  $2.80 went for a few underclothes and 75¢ for fixing shoes.  When the rings came, B had no money to pay for her's with so she had to take the rest of the $10.

Beatrice has one dress to wear to school.  A blue serge, which has been worn continuously for 3 years and is just about the case.  I know you don't want her or me to look awful.  If I went on to tell all the different things for which we need money, you would be scared to death.  Therefore, I will stop talking about money.

We have had quite a few letters from Clif lately.  He is getting along good.  I guess he is planning on coming to see us the last of June.

What are you going to do this summer?  We are going to work somewhere.  We don't know where.  We will have to earn something, for next year is graduation and


that costs an awful lot of money.  School is out the last week in June.  I hope I can start right in to work.

I am wondering why you don't write or come up.  Every Saturday we say, "I wouldn't be surprised if Dad should come walking in".  You don't so we look for you Sunday morning, but all in vain.  We don't see you.  You won't know me when you do come.  I am growing like a weed.

I saw Bill Peet and his wife and Leslie Eignor Sunday.  They were going to Utica.

I go fishing quite a lot and am getting to be a regular fisherman.

It is after 10 o'clock.  So, I will close.  Please send some money immediately and follow it by yourself.

Love, Olive


No comments:

Post a Comment