Wednesday, August 28, 2013

1919 3 7 Olive Rose to Florence Rose

I will change some spelling and some grammar as I transcribe.  The location is not posted on this letter.

My grandmother, 'Olive' Letha Rose Schnack, wrote this letter when she was 10-years old to her sister 'Florence' Alice Rose Lawler.  Their sister, 'Beatrice' May Rose Camp, wrote the second part of this letter.  'Papa' was their father, Elbert Rose.  His sisters were 'Aunt Addie', Ada Rose Woolheater, and 'Aunt Minnie', Minnie Rose Springer, and 'Aunt Lin', Malinda Rose Townsend.  His brother was 'Uncle Will', William Rose.   'Francis' Springer was Minnie's daughter.

More about the Palmer Method can be found by clicking on the link.
 


Mar. 7, 1919

Dear Florence,

We have a written review in Geography today and a written review in Spelling.

I am enclosing a writing paper.  I practice at home because I am not used to writing Palmer Method.  I wrote the latter in school but I am writing now at 12:15.  Florence, I will send the money now.  Will close but will write a postscript.

Your Sister
Olive Letha

Dear Florence,

I suppose you are wondering why you don't get a letter, but Sunday night he came here.  And, Aunt Addie and Aunt Minnie were down to Uncle Will's and so he had to go down, too.  And, we set up til nine o'clock waitng for him but he didn't come so we had to go to bed.  It is Tuesday night now and he got a letter from Aunt Lin.  So, we had a good excuse to have him


come over.  It was half past night before he got here and we had given up all hope.  If we ran to the top of the stairs once, we have a hundred times, watching for him.

I think that I told you before that Aunt Minnie was coming.  She brought Francis with her and if she isn't fat.  I can't lift her.  You know that we have three goldfish (I mean that we did have) and Francis kept playing with them til she killed one.  Papa told us that Uncle Will was over to Carter's yesterday and last night (of course he sleeps with Papa) Papa thought he was going to die; he could hardly breathe.  Aunt Lin doesn't think that she will be home before April.

Olive was speaking about the geography test.  I got 99%.  I think that was pretty good.

And, we had a writing lesson that was sent into the writing teacher.  And, always before, I had got unsatisfactory and today I got just one word.  And, that was slant and I was tickled to death.  Will write next time.

Beatrice

Say Florence, I am going to send you three cents to write to me with.  And, Papa wants to write when he sends the money.  


No comments:

Post a Comment