Tuesday, August 27, 2013

1919 2 22 Beatrice Rose to Florence Rose

I will change some spelling and some grammar as I transcribe.  Kingston, New York is in Ulster County.

'Beatrice' May Rose Camp was 12-years old when she wrote this letter to her sister, 'Florence' Alice Rose Lawler.  'Olive' Letha Rose Schnack was their sister and Clifton Rose their brother.  'Papa' was their father, Elbert Rose.  'Aunt Addie' was Elbert's sister, Ada Rose Woolheater. 'Bessie' Woolheater Winfield and Eva Woolheater were Ada's daughters.  'Odell' was their cousin, a son of their father's brother, William Rose.

I haven't discovered yet the identity of 'Aunt Cora.'  Please offer your suggestions in the comment field at the end.  Also if you know what an 'optic' was.


72 Clinton Ave.
Kingston, N.Y.
Feb. 22, 1919

Dear Florence,

I received the cards and was very glad to get them.  I have broken the rules already.  You know I was to write every Saturday and I didn't last Saturday.  I started one at night and finished it Wednesday.  But, it was written with pencil and I thought you would think that I was lazy.

It is two o'clock now and I have been busy ever


since I got up.

Bessie washed the dishes for breakfast and Olive and I dried them.  I dusted in the parlor and then cleaned the bath-room and then Bessie and I went out shopping on Broadway.

Papa wrote to Clifton last Sunday night and sent him a dollar.  I was to Sunday school last Sunday and the Sunday before.

Last Saturday, Papa took Olive and I up to Stelles (the store on the corner of Wall and John Sts.) and bought us each a new pair of shoes.


Mine are patent leather bottoms and button cloth tops.  And, Olive's are just plain leather.  They both cost $1.98 and Papa bought me a pair of arch supports and they cost $1.57 and the whole thing came to $5.51.  Bessie thought that Papa got a bargain.  They had a sale and that is how we happened to get them so cheap.

We are not going to get the optic anymore.  Ed Tompkins said that it wasn't appreciated.

I saw Abbey _alace.  I think it was Wednesday she said that George Moorey was down here.


I have seen her once before with Aunt Cora's sister.

Valentine's Day was Aunt Addie's Birthday and Eva gave her the loveliest cake.  We had a surprise party and we were all in the other room.  And, Eva and Bessie got every thing ready.  And, when we came out, there sat the cake and two plates of sandwiches, beef, and coffee.  And Oh!  That cake, it was just grand.  It was round and as big as a little dishpan.  And, we had ice cream bricks; all but Aunt Addie.  She had 


vanilla as she don't like chocolate or strawberry.

We had school Valentine's Day and from half past two to twenty minutes after three, we had exercises.  And, yesterday we had exercises from 2:30 to 3:20.  Oh, I just love to have exercises.

Bessie is taking a course in short hand at Spencer's College.  Olive got a card from Aunt Hattie and she said that she had sent me a card, but I didn't receive it.

You know, up to the ten cent store where Eva is working, they got some goldfish in and Eva bought three and the 


loveliest big bowl.

I think that I will try and get Papa to get me a pair of stockings as I need a pair awful much.  And, these old shoes are getting worn out.  And, the lining is wearing out and it makes holes in my stockings.

I told you before that Odell had a sore throat, didn't I?  Papa was here yesterday a little while and he told Aunt Addie that he took Uncle Will home Thursday night sick.  And, he could hardly breath.  And yesterday, Aunt Addie said that the doctor


said he would be alright in a few days.

I suppose you had a great time Valentine's Day.  I am sure I did over to school.  We made a Valentine's box and made Valentines to put in it.  I got one from the teacher, Miss Fitzgerald, and two or three from a girl school friend, Alice Hunter.

Well, I will close and write a longer letter next time as I can't think of anymore to say.

Goodbye
Beatrice

P.S.
You know the last letter


I wrote cost me six cents.  Sunday night, I put it in the mailbox and Monday noon I got it back without any stamp.  It is lucky that I said where it was from. 

No comments:

Post a Comment