Friday, August 23, 2013

1918 10 12 Alice More to Florence Rose

I will correct some spelling and some grammar as I transcribe.

Pine Hill and Kingston are in Ulster County, New York.  Roxbury is in Delaware County, New York. The letter is written by Alice Estelle Clayton More to her granddaughter Florence Rose.  The 'Father' and 'Dad' and 'he' referred to is Elbert Rose, father of Florence Rose.  Lin is Elbert's sister Malinda Rose Townsend.  The Helen on page 3 might be Lin's daughter and Arthur might be Elbert's brother.  Adda is Elbert's sister, Ada Rose Woolheater.  Hattie is Harriet More Burgett, a daughter of Alice's.  Seward is Hattie's husband.

Pine Hill
Oct 12, 1918

Dear Florence,

I have been waiting to see what your father was going to do.  He went over to Lin's to get her to take the girls. He came back from there feeling pretty good.  He said she was glad to do it for him.  That was Friday.  Saturday, she came over to get dad to
not break up his family; to stay on the farm.  I see where the shoe pinched.  She had lots of reasons why she didn't see how she could take them.  Your Dad is bent on going to Kingston.  You can't talk him out of it.

 Well, Lin stayed all night and today Dad took her home and the girls.  I felt awful sorry to see the little girls go
 bag and baggage.  Lin says they can stay till she gets her sewing done and the Influenza is subdued.  Then, she and Helen will go to Arthur's and then to Bertha's.  Then, the girls will go to Aunt Ada's in Kingston.  I think that is awful for those poor little girls to be toted around.  And, Dad will get a job in Kingston.  It is awful lonesome tonight without them.  Well, I
have lots of work to do.  Wish you were here to help me pack.  Then you could take some things back with you.  I have packed all the best bedding in trunks and have burned all the paper rags and all the girls trunk.  He is going to pack every thing in the room where we slept.  I have the parlor and the bedroom all straight.  He is going to draw writings Monday and wants to let Obed
move in the fifteenth.  I don't see how I can get it all done.

Well, I must get to bed.  You must let Hattie see this.

He hasn't sold the bull.  I haven't seen _____ and the cider apples are still on the ground.  I wish Seward would come down and let you come, too.

Hastily,  Grandma

PS
He will have to put the date the 20th before he lets them in.  I think I will go to Roxbury before I come up.

No comments:

Post a Comment