Thursday, August 22, 2013

1916 9 24 Olive Rose to Florence Rose

I'm correcting some spelling and some grammar as I transcribe.  The original correspondence can be found in the Grandma's Letters tab.  This letter was written by my grandmother when she was 8-years old.  It is addressed to her sister, Florence Rose.  Florence, Beatrice, Clifton, and Olive are siblings. Papa is their father Elbert Rose. Grandma is Alice Estelle Clayton More. 


Pine Hill, NY
Sept. 24, 1916

Dear Florence,

Grandma received your letter.  She was very glad to hear from you.  We go to school.  I like my teacher very much.  We have lots of sweet corn.  Obed Cure has been working for Papa.

Beatrice said she did not want to write.

You need not worry about Beatrice sleeping upstairs alone.  I sleep with her most the time.

Jay Gosso is dead.  He died with the paralysis.  Papa is making out his bills tonight as usual.  We have killed 12 chickens.  We ate one and sold eleven.  Clifton's toothache has stopped.

Papa's watch has come, and Clifton, his watch came to me.  I wear it to school.  How are you feeling now days?  It is time to go to bed.

Olive

No comments:

Post a Comment