Sunday, August 25, 2013

1918 12 4 Beatrice Rose to Florence Rose

I will change some spelling and some grammar as I transcribe.

Kingston, N.Y. is in Ulster County. This letter was written by 'Beatrice' May Rose Camp, when she was 12-years old, to her sister 'Florence' Alice Rose Lawler.  'Olive' Letha Rose Schnack was their sister. 'Papa' is their father, Elbert Rose. 




Kingston, N.Y.
Dec. 4, 1918

Dear Florence,

We got our report cards tonight.  We got above 75 with everything but Palmer Method, which we got 70.  We have had all these things once.  Yes, we get everything furnished; pens, pencils, eraser, paper, and everything.  We are in 6B, the first part of sixth grade.

My dress is plaid, blue and red and white and others; it cost ($2.98) two dollars and ninety-eight cents.  Olive's is blue with plaid collars and cuffs, ($1.98) a dollar ninety-eight.  Our gloves are brown and cost 39 cents a pair.  They are both alike.

The reason why I haven't written before is because I have been waiting for Papa to come down so I could get some



money.  I was ashamed to write without sending you any money because I thought of you way up there away from all the rest without any money.

It snowed here last night for the first time.

I was to the dentist Sunday and had three teeth filled; one with silver, a dollar, and 2 with enamel that cost four dollars.  I have 7 or eight more to be filled and 1 crowned that would cost eight dollars; and the nerve out of two.  The dentist says it will cost more than ($16.00) sixteen dollars.

Well, will close.
Your Sister,
Beatrice

No comments:

Post a Comment